Wednesday, April 10, 2013

the ups and down of spring


As we go from winter to summer through our very very short spring, the changing temperatures from day to day and wild swings in the weather cause the sea to react as well. We tend to get rough wild water whenever the weather changes, making paddling quite a challenge.
Some days are great for surfing, others are better suited to sitting round  drinking tea or coffee and just sheltering from the wind.
After missing a paddling session I tend to get withdrawl symptoms and my body craves the water.
Yesterday I  went out with Yosi, he in his new Zypher, all shiny and green. When we got to the rock that we usually surf, we were faced with a couple of really huge waves that made us both turn and run for our home beach

My camera is not mounted on my deck and all my pictures are hand held, but yesterday I didnt manage to get any pictures in the really rough stuff, no I didnt want to let go my paddle.
This morning the sea was still wild, smaller but strong. Zohar and I went out for a play session. the waves were no good for anything except bouncing about. We played in the soup zone for a while and had a lot of trouble punching back out after beaching .  Just when you think you have made it , along comes a large wave and pushes you back. Heres a short video showing Zohar playing in the waves. You definitly need a strong roll in these conditions.





I managed to loose a lens from my glasses in the surf, I guess it was bound to happen in such rough stuff.
At least those withdrawl symptoms have been held off for a while now.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Excellent! you know it was rough when the optimist stop taking photos!