Friday, February 15, 2013

an exciting day

Pre paddle instructions were clear, due to windy conditions and rising seas, we were to stay together and at the turning point we would decide on whether to return or continue 
Going out against the wind and the waves was a joyride, the ups and downs caused shouts of enjoyment


Keeping a large group of Israeli kayakers together is an impossible task at the best of times

We eventually regrouped at the end

And some posed for a photo
Half the group returned and the rest continued going out for a short while. When we turned to return the wind had gotten stronger and the sea was rougher, Yiftach was in the lead and I was the collector at the back.In no time at all the group had surged ahead leaving a relatively new paddler behind. I stayed with him and suddenly he capsized. Rescue went ok but I saw he was having difficulty controlling his boat in the conditions and had no control over his direction. I decided to tow to help. The first tug on the towrope caused another capsize, and then I realised that I needed help. A loud call on my whistle was heard by the now distant group and some came back to see what was going on. I decided that the troubled kayaker needed another to assist him in balance and began towing both kayaks back to shore.The wind and waves were helping me and so I declined having another kayak tow me, preferring to have him in the area just in case something happened and we needed another hand.


All went well, the following sea brought us closer to the shore and more kayaks came to assist. 

Most importantly I handed my camera to Hadas to get the necessarry pictures, this after we had passed the reef. 

Suddenly a large wave caught the towed kayaks and swept them shorewards, puling me, the tower backwards and flipping me over
The tension of the towrope prevented me rolling so I had to release it while underwater and then tried to roll, failed and by this time had no more air and so had to bail out. We were close to shore so it wasn't too bad

Everyone got home safely after an exciting morning out on the water and then all the discussion began.
Lessons learnt.
1. important to keep the group close together in rough conditions
2.There should always be 2 sweeps at the back, one is not enough in rough water.
3 .Whistles are a good thing
4.Towing in a following sea is like having a Heimlich maneuver being done on you every few moments
5.Maybe I should have had Izzy tow me as well to make the trip quicker and easier, I decided rather to have him free in the water in case of need.
6.There should be at least 2 cameras on each outing



2 comments:

nissim said...

wow

what an intensive day

"4.Towing in a following sea is like having a Heimlich maneuver being done on you every few moments"

LOL

Lee said...

Excellent stuff!