Saturday, July 21, 2012

fun in the surf and breaking a paddle


The sea was up this weekend with some nice surf for playing in
.Friday afternoon I went back with Eli for a bit of fun. I took my Guillemot Play and Eli had the Petrel. No doubt about it the Petrel is the best kayak I have for playing is rough water and surfing. The Guillemot Play I built a few years ago before the Petrel was available has been hanging around for a while hardly used. It can be fun in the surf and has a tendency to nosedive as you can see in the video. I have been using an Aleut paddle for a while, its great in all sorts of seas but I broke it a few days ago. Gorilla glue has held it together since then but I guess the pressure on it yesterday was just too much and it cracked again.I am trying to re glue it  and this time will add a couple of dowels . Hope it holds up.Here` Eyal trying it out before it broke



1 comment:

Lee said...

Ouch! May be time to carve a new one!

Maybe look at widdling down some hardwood for the dowels?